Sorry, this entry is only available in spanish version.
Category Archives: Middle&Senior
29 Apr 2013 Comunidad · Deportes · Institucionales · Middle&Senior · UK & Spain Tour 2012 Clau Comentarios
Gabriela Correa, Coordinator of English in Middle & Senior, reports:
- We welcome our new members of staff, Prof. Carla Di Corleto, Full- time Teacher of Language and Literature in Middle and Senior, and Francisco Cobos, Senior Debate Coach, and wish them a very successful academic year.
- Another exciting round of Junior and Senior Debate has started, and students are getting ready for the Acorn Cup, which starts in May. Seniors meet on Tuesdays, from 4:15 to 5:45pm, and Juniors meet on Wednesdays at the same time. All students are invited.
- March 7th was World Book Day, and the English Department devised an interactive board (but not of the virtual sort) that had students and teachers talking about their favourite books. Some very heated discussions were witnessed as one passed the board on the way to the patio!
- Prof .Janet Lenton has set up a Creative Writing Workshop for all those students in M&S who enjoy expressing themselves through stories and poetry. The groups meet every two weeks during school hours. We are looking forward to seeing their pieces in the school anthology!
- An Interhouse Public Speaking Competition was held at BDS on April 4th. Maga Huberman (South), Martina Irarrazábal (East), Thomas Page (North) and Lucas Gold (West) presented their speeches on the subject Ideas are our Greatest Weapon, in front of an audience of S6 students and four teachers. Both the judges and the audience were touched by the content and the delivery of these speeches. Congratulations to all four participants!
- Last but not least, Lucas Gold, winner of the BDS Public Speaking Interhouse, delivered his speech at the National Competition, organized by the English Speaking Union (ESU). The event took place on April 23rd at the British Embassy, in Buenos Aires. Lucas was accompanied by Prof. Marta Battaglia and by his father, Mr Oscar Gold. The British Ambassador, Mr John Freeman, declared that he was “impressed” by the outstanding level of all the participants and that it was a “humbling experience” to see how they had managed to master his native language. BDS is very proud of the dedication and enthusiasm which Lucas evidenced throughout the process. Well done!